Welcome to Medical Computing Review (MCR)
Use the Browse list (or the Search engine once activated) to locate Medical Computing Review (MCR) articles published in 2005 and Medical Software Reviews (MSR) articles published in 1997-2004.
The final year of MSR and all of MCR are available in PDF, the rest are in HTML. Future articles will continue in PDF.
Please review our Creative Commons copyright policy, which covers all our articles regardless of old notations.
Medical Computing Review publishes medical computing articles and software reviews for practicing physicians at all levels of computer competency. Founded in 1991 as Medical Software Reviews, it is commonly regarded as the leading resource for objective evaluations of medical software. The publication was renamed Medical Computing Review in 2005 as its content expanded to include articles reflecting the increasing role of computer technology in medical practice:
- MCReports: reports describing an aspect of computer technology and its effect or use in clinical practice
- Computing Rounds: case presentations describing a particular computing situation or product, followed by a discussion of the case by the author.
- NetViews: articles describing the strengths and limitations of a particular Web site, or how a topic of interest to physicians is covered on the Web.
- Byteside Consults: advice to the computer lorn, where selected questions are answered by experts and/or MCR staff.
Our medical software reviews are a continually developing database of MCReviews, our flagship full single product reviews; ComparaViews, comparative reviews of two or more products; NanoReviews, mini-reviews that follow the same template as MCReviews but in a few paragraphs rather than a few pages; and DejaViews, revisits of previous reviewed software. Products reviewed include software and online electronic medical records, clinical references, continuing medical education products, and practice management software for desktops, laptops, and handheld devices.
Medical Computing Review provides:
- Practical information on computers and related technology.
- Articles written by practicing physicians for practicing physicians.
- Content that covers a broad range of computer experience and literacy.
- An independent source of information—absolutely no commercial ties, influence or vested interests.
- A well-honed editorial process with peer review by computer-savvy physicians, and technology specialists as needed.
- Open Access, a new publishing format on the Internet with extensive academic and science community support.
MCR Editorial Staff
Marjorie Lazoff, MD
Doris Peter, PhD
Lee Ann Riesenberg, PhD, RN
Harry Brown, MB ChB, MRCGP
Contributing Editor (UK), Global Medical Computing
Assistant Technical Editor
MCR Editorial Advisory Board
Bruce Block, MD
Clinical Associate Professor, Department of Family Medicine, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine
Faculty, University of Pittsburg Medical Center (UPMC)-Shadyside Family Medicine Residency Program
Director, UPMC-Shadyside Primary Care Institute, Pittsburgh, Penn
Medical Director, Centers for Healthy Hearts and Souls, Pittsburgh, Penn
Lawrence D Dardick, MD
Partner and Informatics Director, Santa Monica Bay Physicians, Santa Monica, Calif
Edward P Hoffer, MD FACP, FRCP(C), FACMI
Associate Professor of Medicine, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Mass
Assistant Director, Laboratory of Computer Science, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, Mass
Private Practice, Cardiology/Internal Medicine, Framingham, Mass
David M Liebovitz, MD
Assistant Professor, Division of General Internal Medicine, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, Ill
Chief Medical Informatics Officer, Northwestern Medical Faculty Foundation
Medical Director, Clinical Information Systems, Northwestern Memorial Hospital, Chicago, Ill
Pennie Marchetti, MD
Solo practice in family medicine, Stow, Ohio
Mark T Parker, MD
Medical Director, Emergency Care Center, Chester Medical Center, Keene, NH
Lee Ann Riesenberg, PhD, RN
Director Medical Education Research & Outcomes, Christiana Care Health System, Newark, Del
Donald L Vine, MD
Professor, Internal Medicine, Kansas University Medicine School, Wichita, Kan