Welcome to the Archives
All Archive articles were written between 1997 and 2001. None have been converted to MC.org's new unified design, and the external links have not been maintained.
refers to content updated after the original article was published; nothing has been updated since 2001.
The Archives contains the full content from Medical Computing Today (MCToday), a free companion site to the then subscription based Medical Software Reviews, now Medical Computing Review. Created in 1997 by Susan Frisch, then the newsletter's owner and editor, and Marjorie Lazoff, MD, then columnist and member of the newsletter's editorial advisory board, MCToday maintained and updated its resources until 2001. From MCToday's mission statement: "Our mission is to present information appropriate to all levels of computing expertise and for all types of academic and clinical practice, while setting high standards for content and the application of Web technology. Included is a combination of peer reviewed original articles, annotated references to Web resources, and exchanges on medical computing by and among health care professionals...The editorial content is and will remain free of special interest or commercial influences."
These articles, lists and other resources are presented here because, despite the dated format and links, some of this content may still be of interest to the medical computing community. Please contact us if there is something here that you would like to see maintained or updated.
Archives Table of Contents
- Bioterrorism Links for Physicians is a selective, annotated list of links to clinical resources, government news and other rapidly updated information on anthrax and related subjects.
- Physician kNOWLedger is a selective list of medical news and other rapidly updated information of interest to physicians and other health professionals.
- Electronic CME is an extensive, annotated list of links to online (Web) and software resources.
- MI Recommendations is an annotated list of Web pages and sites selected by the medical editor. The list is specifically for physicians and other health care professionals interested in, among other things, medical informatics and clinical computing.
- Online Medical Events includes both live and archived medcasts/webcasts, convention reports, slide shows, and other Web events of interest to physicians and other health professionals.
- Convention Calendar lists medical computing events.
- Boards Review Software posts reviews on preparatory software for certification and re-certification in the following specialties: internal medicine, family practice, general surgery, pediatrics, emergency medicine, ob/gyn, and a new section on cardiology.
- Computing Rounds posts selected vignettes about medical computing.
- Frequently Updated Medical References is a selective, annotated list that showcases many of the Web's benefits for health professionals: timeliness of content, ease of dissemination and access, interactivity, and archival storage and search features. The links are updated periodically. It is divided into two sections:
- Clinical References: Frequently Updated Textbooks, Selected Journals' Tables of Contents, Citations and Abstracts, Clinical Reviews (EBM, Journal Clubs, etc.), Therapeutics, Emerging Infections & Global Medicine, and Selected Press Releases and Associations.
- Meeting/Convention Calendars: Association/Academic Meetings, Other Clinical Conventions, and Medical Computing & Informatics meetings.
- Medical Professional News includes medical, science/biotechnology, and health -- divided by frequency of updates (daily, weekly, etc.) -- and Medical Business (Industry News, Managed Care & Medical Policy, and Personal Finance), and Medical Computing/Informatics news. medical business and computing news.
- NetView, a monthly column from Medical Software Reviews, examines how specific medical/health topics are portrayed online. Each article is extensively linked to Web sites/pages.
- Kickback Korner has direct links and search engines to selected online bookstores that offer especially good collections of clinical and business medicine, medical informatics, and computer science books; some also offer medical software. Designed as a gateway for all online book purchasing needs, whether professional or casual. Purchasing through this page helps support MCToday. See too a comparative review of online bookstores.
- Home is this page
- What's New: describes new articles and features.
- Site Map: a point-and-click site organizer
- Archives: browse past and present articles and features
- About MCToday: background on this site, and copyright information and disclaimers.
- Information for Authors encourages reader participation and submissions
Articles and features are also organized under one or more topics:
- Clinical Computing: practical applications of computer technology to patient care
- Medical Education: physician training, teaching, and continuing medical education
- Medical Informatics: research and development, technology transfer, information science, and standards
- The Internet: on line and telecommunications, and the ways international connectivity will affect medicine
- Specialties: medical computing issues and references that are specialty specific
Last Modified: 11-Jul-2006